Teen’s Smiling Selfie At Auschwitz Goes Viral After Inciting Twitter Anger
The young woman said she was smiling because she always wanted to visit the concentration camp with her late father.
1. A tweet by a girl named Breanna Mitchell of her happy selfie at the biggest of the Nazi death camps has gone viral and incited rage around the internet.
3. Though the tweet is from last month, it began gaining traction this weekend.
@PrincessBMM Incredibly disrespectful.
9. Breanna said she studied the history of the World War II concentration camp with her father, who died before the two were able to visit, and that she was smiling because she was happy to make it to the site.
@PrincessBMM How can you be happy and smile in this pic? Do you not understand the horrors and murders that happened here? I'd be crying.
@TeighLeigh yeah, I do understand what happened there. I studied it for years with my dad and we always planned to visit there but he died
@TeighLeigh a year ago, so that trip actually meant something to me and I was happy about it.
13. When people began tweeting that her selfie and emoticon were inappropriate, the teen fired back angrily.
@princessbmm like, are you serious with that emoticon and everything
@sirbenhbowers smile at my dad's death and I swear to god if you didn't live in fucking London or wherever I would come fucking kill you
17. While she hasn’t taken the tweet down, Breanna seems regretful of the attention the photo caused.
Omg I wish people would quit tweeting to, quoting, retweeting, and favoriting my picture of my smiling in Auschwitz Concentration Camp.
I'm so stupid and fuck everything up. It's official.
20. Though she wasn’t without her supporters.
@PrincessBMM I get the controversy, but people are a bit ridiculous. People will find any reason to hate
@PrincessBMM A quick google search shows loads of other pictures taken there, with people smiling, shock . Don't listen to the haters!
@PrincessBMM Nice pic. Ignore the righteous brigade. People with nothing better to do than act superior on twitter.