Jeff Gordon Scared The Crap Out Of The Journalist Who Called His Last Prank Fake
Revenge is a dish best served in the back of a speeding cab on a high-speed chase, driven by a convicted felon.
1. This is why you don’t mess with NASCAR driver Jeff Gordon.
2. Remember this? Last March, Jeff Gordon teamed up with Pepsi for an ad called “Test Drive,” where (supposedly) an unsuspecting car salesman was sent on a wild ride.
3. After the ad came out, Travis Okulski, an automotive reporter at Jalopnik, was the first to call out that the ad was “totally 100 percent fake.”
4. So when Jeff Gordon and Pepsi came to Travis’ boss Matt and his friend Ray, and told them they wanted “to prove that this test-drive that happened a year ago was real,” the pair were excited to help them prank their friend.
5. First, they transformed Jeff into an ex-convict cab driver with makeup and fake tattoos.
6. Then they send Jeff to pick Travis up from his hotel in a cab.
7. The pair hadn’t been driving long when suddenly they were being pulled over by a cop.
8. As Jeff had a minor freak-out, the officer got on the loudspeaker and told Jeff and Travis to roll their windows down and put their hands up… only the windows wouldn’t roll down and the doors wouldn’t unlock.
9. Then Jeff took off, and Travis started FREAKING out.
10. As Jeff skidded through mud puddles and pre-constructed barricades, Travis begged for him to stop the car.
11. According to an article Travis wrote about the experience, after what felt like forever (it was actually about 60 seconds), they did a couple doughnuts, then pulled into a garage at full speed and locked up the brakes.
12. The garage was full of Pepsi and cameras. “I can say with total certainty that this second Pepsi Test Drive ad is unequivocally, one hundred percent, totally, absolutely real,” Travis said.
13. And if you’re still questioning the ad’s authenticity, Travis’ boss, Matt, had this to say: