Community Post: 10 Cat Facts Even Cat People Don’t Know
1. A litter can have lots of baby daddies…
One litter of kittens can be fathered by more than one cat.
2. Outdoor cats get street cred, but they usually only live about 3 years!
The average age for an indoor cat is 15 years, while the average age for an outdoor cat is only 3 to 5 years.
3. Cats sway their tails as a sign of affection…
“Gettin’ tail” has a whole different meaning to cats.
If your cat is near you, and it’s tail is quivering, this is the greatest expression of love your cat can give you.
4. The whiskers on a cat’s face are used to help him navigate in restricted spaces or in darkness…
This is where trimming stray hairs is not accepted.
5. Most cats don’t have eyelashes…
This little kitty won’t be applying mascara in the mirror anytime soon…
6. A group of cats is called a “Kindle”
Definitely not something you can stick in your purse
7. Choose the wrong name and you could be wrangling the neighbors cats too!
The (2010) most common cat names in the U.S. are: Max, Chloe, Bella, Oliver, Tiger, Smokey, Tigger, Lucy, Shadow and Angel.
8. Kitten teeth are sharper than adult cat teeth
Nursing would NOT be an option if it were our choice… Kittens develop 26 needle-sharp milk teeth. These baby teeth are replaced during the first 6 months of life with 30 adult teeth.
9. Cats have 32 muscles in just one ear!
Shocking, I tell you…
10. The nose pad of a cat is ridged in a pattern that is unique, just like the fingerprint.
Cat! I know it was you, your nose-prints are all over the crime scene!